This is a troublesome error that is not confined to this game or specific hardware. It is a DirectX error code that indicates a crashing of the driver. I have done some more research and have tried to collect all of the steps that people are reporting to have fixed this issue. One particular step I have seen but do not recommend is altering any video card voltages. Some of these steps are quick and easy, some require a little more effort.
- Turn on vsync
- Perform a clean boot before attemting to play the game
- Ensure you have power supply capable of meeting the demands of your hardware while it is under heavy gaming load
- Perform a clean video driver installation. I have seen reports that this issue may be more prevalent with nvidia 314.07 so maybe avoid that especially as there is a newer WHQL version available. It also may be worthwhile trying a driver previous to 314.07. The previous nvidia drivers can be found here. Previous AMD/ATI drivers are here.
- Set all in game graphics settings to low in order to reduce the stress on your GPU.
- Ensure you have hard drive space available for your pagefile. If your pagefile is set to 8GB and you only have 4GB free you may run into problems.
- Set the high performance preset in your GPU control panel, as opposed to the high quality preset.
- Run your video card at stock speeds (memory and core). This is also important for players with factory overclocked cards. This will require some third party software such as EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner etc.
- Set Windows power settings to High performance in the Power Options in Control Panel.
- Also, beside High performance, click on Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings, in PCI Express and Link State Power Management change the Setting to Off.
- Run the dxwebsetup to possibly fix corrupted DirectX files. Do not do this unless you have attempted all of the previous steps.
I will link this post from the official nvidia forum, it is not the same error but it is a driver crashing type of issue and the points mentioned there are all relevant to the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error message.
It is unfortunate that there does not appear to be a one shot panacea available for this error message and that each player will have to perform some methodical troubleshooting in order to eradicate this issue.
I will mark this post as the resolution to bring players attention to it and will monitor it in the coming days to see players responses. Please post and let the community know which if any of these steps have been of benefit to you.